Austin Job Postings Report June 2023
Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown MSA
(Austin MSA, May 14-June 13, 2023)
View more reports like this one here.
Not for citation or circulation without permission from Opportunity Austin
Published by Erica Colston
Edited by Gilbert Zavala
- There were approximately 75,500 Available Job Postings during the June 2023 monthly reporting period, a decrease from 86,000 postings when compared to May 2023. There were 26,020 New (first-time) Job Postings, an increase of 189 first-time postings when compared to the previous month. New (first-time) Job Postings in June 2023 represented 35% of all Available Job Postings – 5% more than in May. New Job Postings grew in the Austin and Houston MSAs, while those in Dallas decreased very slightly.
- Approximately 13% or 9,437 of all Available Job Postings during the June 2023 reporting period fell under Management Occupations while 8,022 Available Job Postings fell under Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Occupations, showing continued strong demand for experienced or senior talent and healthcare talent in our region.
- There are currently about 3,016 postings indicating vaccination requirements, or mentions of vaccination requirements, a decrease of 782 postings compared to the previous month. Most of the vaccination mentions are posted by companies like Texas Children’s Hospital, KPMG, UnitedHealth Group, Compass Group and Touchpoint SA.
- 6,641 postings offered “signing bonuses,” a decrease of 957 postings when compared to the previous month.
- Forty-four percent or 33,181 of Available Job Postings pay an annual median wage between $30,000 to $65,000. Of these, 54% or 17,997 will require a high school diploma as the entry-level education, and 17% or 5,548 will require at least a bachelor’s degree.
- There are about 983 internship positions posted, in-person or remote. The top three companies with the most postings are Advanced Micro Devices, Ascension, and Tesla.
- There are about 2,302 jobs posted within the Austin venture capital, startup, scaleup, and innovation ecosystem on the Austin Ecosystem Dealroom.io Platform as of July 13, 2023.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Austin MSA reported among the lowest unemployment rates in the state again, at 3.5% in May 2023. The total number of unemployed in the Austin MSA is about 49,400. In May 2023, there were 26,096 more available job postings than the unemployed.
- In June 2023, the Austin region saw a total of about 535 jobs announced through new relocations or expansion plans. Arduino (Turin, Italy) and LS Electric (Gyeonggi, South Korea) announced new location plans, creating over 60 new jobs in Austin. The expansion list representing over 475 jobs includes 5F Mechanical Group, Frost, and PwC.
- This edition uses Lightcast’s Developer tool which deduplicates job postings more accurately. Developer codes job postings to SOC 2018 occupational codes, allowing for more granular reporting on occupational trends. This report previously used the Labor Insight tool which is being phased out by Lightcast, but continues to use HWOL datasets aligned with mid-monthly unemployment figures.
- Job Postings measured in this report refer to the employers who are actively advertising online, it is not a representation of Job Openings, which measures all positions that are open (not filled) on the last business day of the month.
The following job market report is designed to provide insight into current employer demands, skills, and occupations in the Austin MSA.
Top 15 Occupational Group Postings
Management and Computer and Mathematical occupations represent the top two occupational groups.
Top Posted Job Ads and Entry-Level Education
The table below represents the Top 3 Available Job Postings for each Typical Entry-Level Educational Requirement.
Typical Entry-Level Educational Requirements
54 percent of all job postings in the Austin MSA require some form of postsecondary education beyond high school as the typical entry-level education.
Monthly Job Posting Trends
There are 27% less Available Job Postings in June 2023 than in June 2022.
Note: Any discrepancies in the total Available Job Postings and New Job Postings listed above for the referenced period reflect ads that are not classified to an occupational code. The data for June 2023 is the sum of all posted ads from May 14, 2023 to June 13, 2023. This period is aligned to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) unemployment job search period to provide a more accurate comparison of labor supply and labor demand.
Top 25 Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
49 percent of the Top 25 Job Postings require some form of postsecondary education beyond high school as the typical entry-level education.
5 out of the Top 25 posted occupations pay an annual median wage of less than $30,000, and are primarily customer-facing/in-person occupations.
Top 10 Management Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
83 percent of all job postings under Management occupations require a bachelor’s degree or more as the typical entry-level education.
In this category, Managers, All Other, have the most job postings.
Top 10 Tech Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
92 percent of all job postings under Computer & Mathematical occupations require a bachelor’s degree or more as the typical entry-level education.
In this category, Software Developers have the most job postings.
Top 10 Healthcare Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
68 percent of all job postings under Healthcare occupations require a bachelor’s degree or more as the typical entry-level education.
In this category, Registered Nurses have the most job postings.
Top 10 Healthcare Support Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
61 percent of all job postings under Healthcare Support occupations require a postsecondary credential that is more than a high school diploma but less than an associate’s degree as the typical entry-level education.
In this category, Medical Assistants has the most job postings in this occupational category.
Top 25 Skills in Greatest Demand
2 out of the top 25 in-demand skills are related to Microsoft Office and its applications.
Top 25 Certificates in Greatest Demand
14 out of the top 25 in-demand certifications are healthcare-related.
Top 25 Employers
Top healthcare employers dropped in terms of total job postings in June. Compared to May, St. David’s Healthcare Partnership and Ascension ranked first and second, whereas The State of Texas previously ranked third. The rise in state government job postings may be related to 88th legislative session budgetary changes impacting FTEs.