Austin Job Postings Report July 2023
Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown MSA
(Austin MSA, June 14-July 13, 2023)
View more reports like this one here.
Not for citation or circulation without permission from Opportunity Austin
Published by Erica Colston
Edited by Gilbert Zavala
- There were approximately 76,000 available job postings during the July 2023 monthly reporting period, a minor increase from 75,500 postings when compared to June 2023. There were 24,934 new (first-time) job postings, a decrease of 1,086 first-time postings when compared to the previous month. New (first-time job postings in July 2023 represented 33% of all available job postings – 2% less than in June. New job postings dropped by about 5% in the Austin, Houston, Dallas metros compared to the prior month, while those in San Antonio remained consistent.
- Approximately 12% or 9,320 of all available job postings during the July 2023 reporting period fell under Management Occupations while 8,189 available job postings fell under Computer and Mathematical, showing continued strong demand for experienced talent in our region.
- There are currently about 2,572 postings indicating vaccination requirements, a decrease of 444 postings compared to the previous month. Top employers mentioning vaccination requirements include Texas Children’s Hospital, Compass Group, and CVS Health.
- 6,691 postings offered “signing bonuses,” an increase of 50 postings when compared to the previous month.
- Forty-four percent or 32,943 of Available Job Postings pay an annual median wage between $30,000 to $65,000. Of these, 55% or 17,975 will require a high school diploma as the entry-level education, and 15% or 4,954 will require at least a bachelor’s degree.
- There are about 846 internship positions posted, in-person or remote. The top three companies with the most postings are Great Clips, Tesla, and Advanced Micro Devices.
- There are about 2,204 jobs posted within the Austin venture capital, startup, scaleup, and innovation ecosystem on the Austin Ecosystem Dealroom Platform as of August 14, 2023.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Austin MSA reported the unemployment rate at 3.5% in June 2023, the same as the prior month. The total number of unemployed in the Austin MSA is about 50,400. In June 2023, there were 25,212 more available job postings than the unemployed.
- In July 2023, the Austin region saw a total of about 105 jobs announced through new relocations or expansion plans. Arcada eFuels (Copenhagen, Denmark) and Volkswagen ADMT (Herndon, VA) announced new location plans, creating over 40 new jobs in Austin. The expansion list representing over 65 jobs includes Austin Shoe Hospital and EVS Metal.
- Job postings measured in this report refer to employers who are actively advertising online. It is not a representation of job openings, which measures all positions that are open (not filled) on the last business day of the month.
- This report uses Lightcast’s Developer tool which deduplicates job postings. Developer codes job postings to SOC 2018 occupational codes, allowing for more granular reporting on occupational trends, and uses HWOL datasets aligned with mid-monthly unemployment figures.
The following job market report is designed to provide insight into current employer demands, skills, and occupations in the Austin MSA.
Top 15 Occupational Group Postings
Management represents the top occupational group.
Top Posted Job Ads and Entry-Level Education
The table below represents the Top 3 Available Job Postings for each Typical Entry-Level Educational Requirement.
Typical Entry-Level Educational Requirements
For all job postings in the Austin MSA across occupations and industries, 53% require postsecondary education beyond high school as the typical entry-level education.
Monthly Job Posting Trends
There are 21% less available job postings in July 2023 than in July 2022. Available job postings in computer and mathematical occupations declined the most at 66% in the past 12 months.
Note: Any discrepancies in the total Available Job Postings and New Job Postings listed above for the referenced period reflect ads that are not classified to an occupational code. The data for July 2023 is the sum of all posted ads from June 14, 2023 to July 13, 2023. This period is aligned to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) unemployment job search period to provide a more accurate comparison of labor supply and labor demand.
Top 25 Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
For the top 25 job postings, 49% require some form of postsecondary education beyond high school as the typical entry-level education, and 48% pay an annual median salary over $65,000.
Top 10 Management Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
For all job postings under management occupations, 82% require a bachelor’s degree, or more, as the typical entry-level education.
In this category, Managers, All Other, have the most job postings.
Top 10 Tech Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
For all job postings under computer and mathematical occupations, 92% require a bachelor’s degree or more as the typical entry-level education.
In this category, Software Developers have the most job postings.
Top 10 Healthcare Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
For all job postings under healthcare occupations, 92% require some form of postsecondary education beyond high school as the typical entry-level education, and 63% require at least a bachelor’s degree.
In this category, Registered Nurses have the most job postings.
Top 10 Healthcare Support Job Postings and Annual Median Wages
For all job postings under Healthcare Support occupations, 61% require a postsecondary credential that is more than a high school diploma but less than an associate’s degree as the typical entry-level education.
Medical Assistants had the most job postings in this occupational category.
Top 25 Skills in Greatest Demand
The top three common skills in demand by employers include communications, customer service, and management, likely a reflection of the overall demand for talent in management occupations.
Top 25 Certificates in Greatest Demand
Fifteen out of the top 25 in-demand certifications are healthcare-related with the largest demand for registered nurses, basic life support, and cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary care.
Top 25 Employers
Top job posting employers, St. David’s Healthcare Partnership and Ascension Seton, drive demand for talent in healthcare and supporting occupations. Other top employers include Texas state government, the University of Texas System, and Tesla.